SRS components are located in this area. Review the
SRS component locations, precautions, and procedures
in the SRS (section 24) before performing repairs or ser-
1. Disconnect the battery negative cable, then discon-
nect the positive cable.
2. Make sure the wheels are turned straight ahead.
3. Remove the dashboard lower cover.
4. Install the short connectors on the airbag and seat-
belt tensioner connectors (see section 24).
Switch Test (cont’d)
5. Disconnect the cable reel harness 6-P connector
from the SRS main harness, then connect test
harness C only to the cable reel harness.
07LAZ – SL40300
6. Check for continuity between the No. 3 terminal
and body ground with the horn switch pressed.
There should be continuity.
• If there is continuity, the horn switch is OK.
• If there is no continuity, go to step 7.
7. Remove the Torx bolts using a Torx T30 bit, then
remove the airbag assembly.
Store a removed airbag assembly
with the pad surface up. If the airbag is improperly
stored face down, accidental deployment could
propel the unit with enough force to cause serious
10 N-m (1.0 kg-m, 7.2 Ib-ft)
Use a Torx T30 bit
8. Check for continuity between the horn positive ter-
minal and the steering column shaft with the horn
switch pressed. There should be no continuity.
STEERING COLUMN SHAFT
• If there is continuity, replace the cable reel (see
• If there is no continuity, go to step 9.
9. Remove the nut and the four screws, then remove
the steering wheel cover, and replace the horn
STEERING WHEEL NUT
50 N-m (5.0 kg-m, 36 Ib-ft)
10. Reinstall the steering wheel and the airbag (see