Install the timing belt in the reverse order of removal;
Only key points are described here.
NOTE: Clean the middle and lower covers before instal-
1. Set the timing belt drive pulley so that the No. 1 pis-
ton is at top dead center (TDC). Align the mark on
the teeth side of the timing belt drive pulley to the
pointer on the oil pump.
2. Set the front camshaft pulleys so that the No. 1 pis-
ton is at TDC. Align the TDC marks on the front
exhaust camshaft pulley and front intake camshaft
pulley to the pointer on the back cover.
Pointer on the
3. Set the rear camshaft pulleys so that the No. 1 pis-
ton is at TDC. Align the TDC mark on the rear intake
camshaft pulley to the pointer on the back cover.
Align the rear exhaust camshaft pulley one half
tooth clockwise past TDC.
Pointer on the
4. Install the timing belt tightly in the sequence shown.
Timing belt drive pulley (crankshaft)
Adjusting pulley Front exhaust camshaft pulley
Front intake camshaft pulley Water pump
pulley Rear intake camshaft pulley Rear
exhaust camshaft pulley.
NOTE: Make sure the timing belt drive pulley and
camshaft pulleys are at TDC.
5. Tension the timing belt between the pulleys in the
sequence A to E as shown below.
6. Adjust the timing belt (see page 6-14 (’91-’93) or (’94-’96))
7. Install the lower cover and middle covers.
8. Install the crankshaft pulley, then tighten the pulley
bolt (see page 6-12 (’91-’93) or (’94-’96))
9. Check the crankshaft pulley and the camshaft pul-
leys at TDC.
NOTE: To check the camshaft, try to insert 5.0 mm
pin punches as shown when the camshaft is at TDC.
FRONT: TDC MARKS
REAR: TDC MARK
PIN PUNCHESTDC MARK
MIDDLE COVER TDC MARKS
10. If a camshaft is not positioned at TDC, remove the
timing belt and adjust the positioning following the
procedure on page 6-18 (’91-’93) or (’94-’96) then reinstall
the timing belt.
11. After installation, adjust the tension of each belt.
See section 23 for alternator belt tension adjust-
See section 22 for A/C compressor belt tension