1. Carefully clamp the gearbox in a vise with soft jaws.
2. Remove the boot bands.
STEERING INSPECTION ARM
60 mm (2.4 in)
3. Pull the boots away from the ends of the gearbox,
unbend the tie-rod lock washers.
4. Hold the rack with a wrench, and unscrew the tie-
rods with another wrench.
Rack guide screw adjustment:
Loosen the rack guide screw locknut.
Tighten, loosen and retighten the rack guide screw
two times to 4 N.m (0.4 kg-m, 2.9 Ib-ft), back it off
NOTE: Slide the steering rack in the cylinder until
the end of the rack projects 60 mm (2.4 in) from
the cylinder end. Inspection is made near this rack
Install the special tool on the pinion shaft and check
the preload with a spring scale.
If the preload is out of the specification, adjust the
Preload 30 N (3 kg, 6.6 Ibs) maximum
Retighten the locknut while holding the rack guide
screw with a wrench.
5. Screw each rack end into the rack while holding the
lock washer so its tabs are in the slots in the rack
NOTE: Install the stopper washer with the cham-
fered side facing out.
6. Tighten the rack end securely, then band the lock
washer back against the flat on the flange as shown.
NOTE: Coat the stopper washer with grease suffi-
25 N.m (2.5 kg-m, 18 Ib-ft)
LOCKNUT WRENCH. 40 mm
(5.5 kg-m, 40 Ib-ft)
7. Install the boots on the rack end with the tube
(Honda P/N 08733-B070E)
Coat the inside of the boot.
Coat the sliding surface
of the rack end.
8. Install the new boot bands on the boot and bend both
sets of locking tabs.
Lightly tap on the doubled portions to reduce their
NOTE: After assembling, slide the rack right and left
to be certain that the boots are not deformed or
9. If the tie-rod ends were removed, install the tie-
rods on the right and left rack ends and screw them
in until the threaded section is 11 mm (0.4 in) in
10. Install the gearbox and the front crossbeam (see
11. Check the wheel alignment and adjust if necessary
(see section 18).
11 mm (0.4 in)
Coat the rack end and inside of the boot with the
Before installing the boot, be sure that the pres-
sure inside of the boot is the atmospheric
Install the boot band with the rack in the straight
ahead condition (i.e. right and left tie-rods are
equal in length).
Ball Joint Boot Replacement
1. Remove the set ring and the boot.
CAUTION: Do not contaminate the boot installation
section with grease.
2. Pack the interior of the boot and lip with grease.
5. Insert the special tool into the threads in the ball pin
and align the end of the tool with the groove in the
Slide the set ring over the tool and into position.
CAUTION: After installing the boot, check the ball
pin tapered section for grease. Wipe it if necessary.
3. Wipe the grease off the sliding surface of the ball
pin, then pack the lower area with fresh grease.
BOOT INSTALLATION SECTION
BALL PIN TAPERED
4. Install the boot in the groove of the boot installation
section securely, then bleed air.
LIP BALL JOINT BOOT CLIP GUIDE07MAG-SL00100
Adjust the depth by
turning the tool.
Keep grease off the boot installation section and
the tapered section of the ball pin.
Do not allow dust, dirt, or other foreign materi-
als to enter the boot.