• Never use an air hose or dry brush to clean brake
• Use an OSHA-approved vacuum cleaner to avoid
breathing brake dust.
1. Loosen the front wheel nuts slightly, then raise each
side of the car and support it on safety stands (see
page 1-9 through 1-11). Remove the front wheels.
2. If the brake pad thickness is less than service limit
at step 5, replace the front pads as a set.
3. Remove the two brake hose mounting bolts. Remove
the two caliper mounting bolts, and move the caliper
out of the way.
CAUTION: Support the caliper with a piece of wire
so that it does not hang from the brake hose.
4. Remove the pad shims, pad retainers and brake
5. Using vernier calipers, measure the thickness of each
brake pad lining.
Brake Pad Thickness:
Standard: 11.0 mm (0.43 in) max.
Service Limit: 1.6 mm (0.06 in)
NOTE: Measurement does not include pad backing
6. Clean the caliper thoroughly; remove any rust, and
check for grooves and cracks.
7. Install the pad retainers.
11. Push in the pistons so that the caliper will fit over
the brake pads.
12. Set the caliper down into position, then install the
brake hose mounting bolts and the caliper moun-
ting bolts. Tighten the bolts to the specified torque.
8. Apply Molykote® M77 to both sides of inner shim
A and the back of the pads. Wipe excess grease off
9. Install the brake pads.
• When reusing the pads, always reinstall the
brake pads in their original positions to prevent
loss of braking efficiency.
• Contaminated brake discs or pads reduce stop-
ping ability. Keep grease off the brake discs or
• Install the inner pad with its wear indicator fac-
• Apply Molykote® M77 to the shims (see page
19-5). Wipe excess grease off the shims.
10. Install the brake pad shims correctly.
13. Depress the brake pedal several times to make sure
the brakes work, then test-drive the car.
NOTE: Engagement of the brake may require a
greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake
pads have been replaced as a set. Several applica-
tions of the brake pedal will restore the normal
14. Install the front wheels and torque the wheel nuts.
NOTE: Clean the mating surface of the wheel and
hub before installing the wheel.