• Do not rotate the camshaft during inspection.
• Remove the rocker arms and rocker shafts.
1. Put the camshafts, the camshaft holders and holder
plates on the cylinder head, and then tighten the bolts
to the specified torque.
NOTE: Apply clean engine oil to 8 mm bolt threads.
8 mm x 1.25 mm bolts:
22N-m (2.2 kg-m, 16 Ib-ft)
6 mm x 1.0 mm bolts:
10N-m (1.0 kg-m, 7 Ib-ft)
CAMSHAFT HOLDER BOLTS TORQUE
2. Seat the camshaft by pushing it toward the left end of
3. Zero the dial indicator against the left end, then push
the camshaft back and forth, and read the end play.
Camshaft End Play:
Standard (New): 0.05—0.15 mm
Service Limit: 0.5 mm (0.02 in)
4. Remove the bolts, then remove the camshaft holders
from the cylinder head.
— Lift the camshaft out of the cylinder head, wipe it
clean, then inspect the lift ramps. Replace the
camshaft if lobes are pitted, scored, or excessively
— Clean the camshaft bearing surfaces in the cylin-
der head, then set the camshaft back in place.
— Insert a plastigage strip across each journal.
5. Install the camshaft holders, and then tighten the
bolts to the specified torque as shown in the left
column on this page.
6. Remove the camshaft holders and measure widest
portion of plastigage on each journal.
Camshaft-to-Holder Oil Clearance:
Standard (New): 0.050-0.089 mm
Service Limit: 0.15 mm (0.006 in)
7. If camshaft-to-holder oil clearance is out of
— And camshaft has already been replaced, you
must replace the cylinder head.
— If camshaft has not been replaced, first check to-
tal runout with the camshaft supported on V-
Camshaft Total Runout:
Standard (New): 0.03 mm (0.0012 in) max.
Service Limit: 0.04 mm (0.0016 in)
— If the total runout of the camshaft is within toler-
ance, replace the cylinder head.
— If the total runout is out of tolerance, replace the
camshaft and recheck. If the oil clearance is still
out of tolerance, replace the cylinder head.
8. Check cam lobe height wear.
Cam Lobe Height Standard (New):
Check this area for wear.
P: Primary M: Mid S: Secondary