Tips and Precautions
• Check applicable fuses in the appropriate fuse box.
• Check the battery for damage, state of charge, and
clean and tight connections.
• Check the alternator belt tension.
• Do not quick-charge a battery unless the battery
ground cable has been disconnected.
Otherwise you will damage the alternator
• Do not attempt to crank the engine with the bat-
tery ground cable loosely connected or you will
severely damage the wiring.
• Make sure the connectors are clean and have no loose
• Make sure multiple cavity connectors are packed with
grease (except watertight connectors).
• All connectors have push-down release type locks.
Some connectors have a clip on their side used to at-
tach them to a mount bracket on the body or on
another component. This clip has a pull type lock.
Some mounted connectors cannot be disconnected
unless you first release the lock and remove the con-
nector from its bracket.
• Never try to disconnect connectors by pulling on their
wires; pull on the connector halves instead.
• Always reinstall plastic covers.
• Before connecting connectors, make sure the ter-
minals are in place and not bent.
Check for loose retainer and rubber seals.
RUBBER SEAL RETAINER
• The backs of some connectors are packed with
grease. Add grease if needed. If the grease is con-
taminated, replace it.
Tips and Precautions
• Insert the connector all the way, and make sure it is
• Position wires so that the open end of the cover
Handling Wires and Harnesses
• Secure wires and wire harnesses to the frame with
their respective wire ties at the designated locations.
• Remove clips carefully; don’t damage their locks.
Slip pliers under the clip base and through the hole at an
angle, then squeeze the expansion tabs to release the
After installing harness clips, make sure the harness
doesn’t interfere with any moving parts.
Keep wire harnesses away from exhaust pipes and
other hot parts, from sharp edges of brackets and
holes, and from exposed screws and bolts.
Seat grommets in their grooves properly.
Testing and Repairs
• Do not use wires or harnesses with broken insulation.
Replace them or repair them by wrapping the break
with electrical tape.
• After installing parts, make sure that no wires are
pinched under them.
• When using electrical test equipment, follow the
manufacturer’s instructions and those described in
• If possible, insert the probe of the tester from the wire
side (except waterproof connector).
Use a probe with a tapered tip.
• Refer to the instructions in the Honda Terminal Kit for
identification and replacement of connector terminals.