SRS components are located in this area. Review the
SRS component locations, precautions, and procedures
in the SRS section 24 before performing repairs or ser-
1. Slip the lower end of the steering joint onto the pin-
2. Reposition the column assembly on the hanger
bracket, and loosely tighten with 8 mm flange nuts.
8 mm FLANGE NUTS
(1.6 kg-m, 12 Ib-ft)
3. Tighten to the steering joint bolts.
• Be sure that the lower bolt is securely in the
groove in the steering gearbox pinion shaft.
• Be sure the pinion shaft and the steering column
shaft are aligned; the joint should slip on freely.
If not reposition the steering rack to correct the
Slip the upper end of the steering joint onto the steering
shaft (line up the bolt hole with the groove around the
shaft) and loosely install the upper bolt.
Pull down while
Bolt must line up with flat
STEERING JOINT BOLTS
22 N-m (2.2 kg-m, 16 Ib-ft)
4. Install the column holder with the 8 mm bolts.
HOLDER 8 mm BOLTS
(2.2 kg-m, 16 Ib-ft)
5. Tighten the 8 mm flange nuts to the specified
6. Install the steering joint cover with the clamps and
STEERING JOINT COVER
7. Install the combination switch assembly over the
8. Reconnect TCS sensor connector.
TCS SENSOR CONNECTOR
9. Install the column covers.
NOTE: Be careful not to damage the column covers.
UPPER COLUMN COVER
10. Insert the cable reel 3P connector through the col-
umn lower panel, and attach it to the column lower
panel with the connector holder. Then connect the
SRS main harness and cable reel 3P connector.
11. Install the column lower panel.
CABLE REEL 3P
12. Install the dashboard brace and dashboard lower
13. Connect the foot well light harness and light-on
warning chime to the dashboard lower panel, then
install the dashboard lower panel.
14. Install the steering wheel and airbag assembly to
the column (see page 17-45).