NOTE: If any of the items listed below are replaced, the
bearing preload must be adjusted.
TAPERED ROLLER BEARING and OUTER RACE
75 mm THRUST SHIM
90 mm WASHER
OIL GUIDE RING
1. Remove the bearing outer race and 75 mm thrust
shim from the transmission housing by prying up
on the bearing outer race or by heating the housing
to about 212°F (100°C).
CAUTION: Do not reuse the thrust shim if the
outer race was pried out.
• If the outer race was removed by heating the
case, let the transmission cool to room tempera-
ture before adjusting the bearing preload.
• Do not heat the transmission housing in excess
of 212° F (100°C).
• Replace the bearing with a new one whenever
the outer race is replaced.
• Repeat on the clutch side.
2. Install the standard shim and bearing outer race in-
to the transmission housing using the special tools
CAUTION: Do not use more than one shim to ad-
just the bearing preload.
• Install the bearing outer race squarely.
• Check that there is no clearance between the
bearing outer race, shim and transmission
75 mm THRUST SHIM:
3. Lubricate the tapered roller bearing with transmis-
sion oil, then install the differential.
4. Install the transmission housing.
NOTE: Do not install the mainshaft, countershaft,
and reverse idle gear shaft.
Torque: 45 N-m (4.5 kg-m, 33 Ib-ft)
5. Rotate the differential assembly in both directions
to seat the bearings.
6. Measure the starting torque of the differential
assembly with a special tool and a torque wrench
NOTE: Measure the bearing preload at normal
room temperature in both directions.
Standard: 2.0-3.0 N-m (20-30 kg-cm,
7. If the bearing preload is not within the standard,
select the shim that will give you the correct
preload, and recheck.
NOTE: Changing one of the shims to the next size
will increase or decrease preload about 0.3- 0.4
N-m (3-4 kg-cm, 2.60-3.47 Ib-in).
72 x 75 mm